I'm all registered for NaNoWriMo

(Pixabay image)

I just finished registering to take part in this year's NaNoWriMo, that month-long event in which authors work toward writing a 50,000-word novel between Nov. 1 and Nov. 30. As of right this moment, though, I have no idea what I will write about.

I've signed up once or twice before. I even managed to hit my word goal for several days in a row, but I've never had 50K words at the end of the month. I would just hit a point when I didn't know what to write anymore. Then the self doubt would settle in as thoughts like, "Why did I think I could do this?" "I'm just not creative enough to do this," and "I've got no imagination," run through my brain.

This year, I want to plow through any periods of doubt and have in my hands by December 1 my first complete novel. I don't care if it's good enough to sell even after I've gone back through and polished the phrases and passages that felt wrong. I just want, for once, to have one complete draft in my hands and to be able to say, "I did it!"

My first task: Come up with a title for my as-yet-unknown-work.

Comments