Editor's Note: Where I've Been

Image by mohamed Hassan from Pixabay


It's been a while.

My last post on this blog was back in March, and that was my first in more than a year. My absence was not because I'd given up on writing. I just found another forum that I wanted to give a try — Medium.

I imagine most writers know of this platform already. I'm often one of the last to try new things. For those rare people out there who might not have heard of the site, though, here are the nuts and bolts. Medium is a where where writers and readers can share ideas on any topic. You'll find everything from personal essays to political commentary to poetry and fiction. The cost to join is $5 a month or $50 a year, but users do not have to be a paying member to earn money. More on this later.

I really enjoy the site, though I am having trouble finding my niche. I write whatever comes to mind for Medium, and what I produce is not consistent. I have managed to earn back my $5 on occasion, but I don't write often enough to earn it back consistently. I want to change that, though. I want to get back to writing consistently on my blogs, too. And I must say, it's great to be back!

And now back to that membership fee. As of the date of this post, Medium writers earn money based on the reading time of other members, which means if someone who is not a member reads one of your articles, the most you'll get is bragging rights that someone read your story. Only reading time by PAYING members translates to money for the authors. For that reason, if you're going to use the site, I encourage you to pay for your membership. It will be to the benefit of any writers there you enjoy.

Follow me on Medium at https://medium.com/@cbpeterson. Are you on Medium, too? Drop a link to your Medium profile for a follow-back.

Comments