Writing Prompt: Outside the window

This prompt is simple, but simple works for me today. I need to grocery shop, and I didn't want to leave without spending at least a few minutes of writing.


The prompt: What's the weather outside your window? If that's not inspiring, what do you wish the weather to be?
Source: Think Written: 365 Creative Writing Prompts

My Response:

A Dreary Day

The rain, that all-day drizzle that settles into my mood, stopped during the night but the clouds that brought it linger. I get the sense the rain could return any minute.

These dark days make me want to watch movies on Netflix all day, snack on high-carb comfort foods, and nod off to sleep whenever the urge strikes me. They're lazy days, and I have to struggle to get things done when the clouds and rain hang around too long.

The weather forecaster says the sun will be back tomorrow, at least for part of the day. That's good, because fighting off the laziness is really tough today. And the longer the cloudiness and drizzles last, the lower my mood sinks and the harder it gets to make myself get up and get things done.

I prefer thunderstorms. They come in with a blast of energy for several minutes, then they leave quietly. Their clouds don't stick around much once the party's over. I may feel sleepy then, too, but it doesn't last. As a matter of fact, sometimes I wish they would hang around a little longer.

Comments