Me, and why I'm writing this blog

(Jack Moreh/FreeRangeStock.com)

I love writing. One of my college professors once mentioned an article she'd read in which an author (I no longer remember who) compared writing to working a jigsaw puzzle. I liked that analogy. Back then, I wrote a lot and I could feel the words kind of snap into place. It was a great feeling.

But then a lot of life happened. I've always been shy, so a job behind the scenes always worked best for me, which meant opportunities to write at the job I had were few. For the most part, I wrote in my spare time when I wasn't too brain tired. For the past decade or so, that window of writing has gotten smaller and smaller. 

Now, I'm between jobs, and I'm not as shy. I'm at a point in my life when I want to focus more on writing, but because I'm out of practice, the right words don't come as easily as they once did. So I started this blog as part of my effort to get rid of the writer's block and, hopefully, get back that feeling of the word puzzle snapping into place. I want my next job to be a writing one.

I imagine several other prospective writers out there have had similar experiences that left them feeling less certain about whether they still have "it." Feel free to leave me links to your blogs, or share your responses to writer prompts, or your own personal story. Let's relearn how to be writers together.

— C.B.

Comments